The history of Óbuda University
The history of our school dates back to 1879, named the Public Secondary Industrial School of Budapest. After an industrial and economic boom of the Austro-Hungarian compromise what followed was the need that secondary vocational specialists and foremen be trained. This marked a period when skilled workers, tradesmen had become a necessity. The Public Secondary Industrial School of Budapest, established by Agoston Trefort, the Minister of Religion and Public Education was exactly intended for this purpose and became known as the Hungarian Royal Public Higher Industrial School of 1898.
The legendary Higher Industrial School – the Budapest Tech, became known internationally – and set an example to successors by creating concordance between high-standard theoretical and practical training. Within the building, designed by Alajos Hauszman, described as the "palace of Hungarian industries". According to the Pesti Napló Chronicle newspaper, the most proficient professors of this period transferred their knowledge to their students. To name a few of these instructors: Lajos Petrik, Géza Jalsoviczky, Illés Aladár Edvi, Ödön Faragó, Ödön Lencz and Dániel Arany. At the same time, Károly Hegedűs became the first principal of the Industrial School. The first world-famous student was József Galamb, designer of the FORD Model T.
The school furthered its successes by winning the "grand prix" award at the 1900 Paris World Fair coupled with the involvement of professors and staff with the organization of the 1906 Milan World Fair which also became a huge success.
In the years following the turn of the century – the numbers of students graduating from Budapest Tech grew exponentially.
Between the years of 1914-1916, the Higher Industrial School’s Mechanical Department assisted military forces by manufacturing bullets for the army in WWI.
Subsequently, the Great Depression of 1929 had a severe impact on the school. Education could only continue with strained efforts, with enormous financial problems, the school survived mainly by donations. These slowed developments were unfortunately interrupted by World War II.
Educational reforms following World War II while the secondary school provided training and education in mechanics. During the 75th anniversary celebration, the institution adopted the name of Donát Bánki, one of the most outstanding mechanical engineers of 20th century Hungary who was a professor of international reputation. Both the professors and their students at the institution were proud to declare themselves as active participants spreading the goodwill of the school both domestically and internationally.
Pursuant to the 1969 law-decree granting college ranking, the college was assigned to train technical specialists suitable for controlling technical issues for machines; industrialized production, manufacturing processes, design and production of simple manufacturing tools, the operation of manufacturing and assembly plants and their production of equipment. From 1991, the name of the institution was modified to Donát Bánki Technical College by broadening the educational profile, ensuring that engineers have a wide range of professional skills and state-of-the art information.
Pursuant to Act LII of 1999 by the National Assembly on the transformation of the institutional network in tertiary education, three polytechnical institutes were integrated and merged, namely the Bánki Donát Technical College, the Kandó Kálmán Technical College and the Light Industry Technical College.
The institution was promoted to university status on 1 January 2010 bearing its current name Óbuda University. With approximately 12,000 students Óbuda University is one of the largest technical universities in the country.